Trusted Learning Environment
Raytown Quality Schools was one of the first districts in the nation to receive the CoSN (the Consortium for School Networking) Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal, recognized for the district’s commitment to ensure the privacy and security of student data.
Developed for all K-12 schools nationwide, the TLE Seal was formed through the input from 28 school system leaders, as well as CoSN and lead partners: AASA, The School Superintendents Association; the Association of School Business Officials (ASBO); and the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD). Their collective expertise and experiences pinpointed the steps schools should take— beyond regulatory compliance—to help ensure student data privacy and security.
Raytown Quality Schools is among the ranks of the following school districts who comprised the first cohort to achieve the TLE seal: Butler County Schools in Alabama, Cambridge Public Schools in Massachusetts, Denver Public Schools in Colorado, Fulton County Schools in Georgia, Lewisville Independent School District in Texas, and Miami-Dade County Public Schools in Florida. The districts in the inaugural class for the seal were chosen by CoSN for demonstrating effective practices in each of the following areas:
- Leadership, including managing and collaborating with stakeholders regarding the use and governance of student data to inform instruction.
- Business, including establishing acquisition vetting processes and contracts that, at the minimum, address applicable compliance with laws while supporting innovation.
- Data Security, including performing regular audits of data privacy and security practices and publicly detailing these measures.
- Professional Development, including requiring school staff to conduct privacy and security training and offering related resources to all stakeholders in the community.
- Classroom, including implementing educational procedures and processes to ensure
The districts will be required to maintain their commitment to digital privacy and reapply for the TLE Seal every two years.